Saturday, April 18, 2015

for better or worse

We got to celebrate with one of our old friends as he got married last week.

Confession: I always cry at weddings.  To be accurate, I always cry at weddings since I've been married.  It's the vows, man.  They do me in every time.

This time around, I got to thinking that half of the standard wedding vows are a bit unnecessary.  I mean, it's not difficult to stick with someone in wealth and good times.  Don't you feel like you could do almost anything if you were constantly healthy and rich?

But on the flip side, it's much harder to think of someone you want to be with when things are going downhill.  It seems like, before you get married, you should think about things like- 

Who do you want by your side when you receive bad news?

Who do you want to hold hands with in bed when you're both nervous and jittery and can't sleep?

Who do you want to sit next to on an international flight as you head to pick up a child? (this one might not apply to everyone...)

Who do you want to bring you soup and magazines when you're sick?  More importantly, who do you want to wait on while they're sick?

Who could you imagine having fun with, even if you don't have any money? 

I don't know that I consciously thought about any of these scenarios pre-marriage.  I certainly had an idea that hardships with Steve would be better than hardships alone, but it is only now, looking back, that I start to realize how lucky I am.  


The other fantastic thing about the wedding was that one of my college roommates came to stay with us for the week leading up to it.  Shana is pretty much the definition of fun and it was a happy accident that she was here during Arthur's spring break- instant party!  We took walks, ran errands, played trash truck, and ate lots of snacks.  All these pictures were taken with her camera, however I'm not exactly sure who was doing the snapping on some of them.  But, you know- photo credit = not me.  


We've had house guests for most of the month of April so far, but it's back to just three of us now.  We're getting the house back in order and plotting and planning for summer, which is so close I can hardly believe it.  Hope things are sunny where you are!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover