Friday, April 13, 2012

weekend food inspiration

I took a small hiatus from cooking after all our visitors left, but, on Wednesday, I decided I was ready to jump back in.  Sometimes all it takes to get me motivated to cook is a new recipe or two and I had dog-eared the heck out of the April issue of Southern Living, so there were plenty of new recipes to choose from. 

Chicken Fried Rice was a huge hit.  I love how colorful it is.  And I'm always partial to a good one-dish dinner.  The leftovers have been great for lunch, which is an added bonus. 

I'll just tell you that these Fried Egg Sandwiches were loosely inspired by the recipe.  Meaning I substituted Italian bread for challah, bacon for pancetta, and fresh tomatoes for sun-dried.  Also, I didn't have any parsley and I made the hollandaise sauce from scratch, not from a mix. 

You know those people who feel like speed limit signs and traffic signals are merely suggestions?  That's how I feel about recipes. 

Anyway, the sandwiches were amazing.  We ate them for dinner, but I think they'd make a fun brunch as well. 

Today I made these Strawberry-Lemonade Muffins to enjoy over the weekend.  I love going into the weekend with a fridge full of food, already prepared.  I'm also making homemade pizza with sausage and roasted vegetables tonight.  Friday night pizza is a tradition around here- I just think pizza makes it feel like the weekend. 

Speaking of the weekend- I can't wait!  I've been working on a custom diaper bag today and it's felt a lot more like fighting than sewing.  Some projects are just like that.  I'm looking forward to finishing it up and then spending the weekend in the sunshine, with Steve, eating leftovers. 

See you Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I might try the chicken fried rice! I'm using a 30mm 1.8 nikon lens.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover