Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Using up the buttermilk



One of my favorite things is to find creative ways to use up a food item that I previously bought for another purpose. In this case, one quart of buttermilk. I used part of the buttermilk last week to make this barbeque ranch dressing that turned out amazing. We are still eating salads just as an excuse to have more of that dressing.

So my job for today was to use the rest of the buttermilk before it turned even more sour than buttermilk already is. First, the obvious- buttermilk biscuits.



I have only used this particular recipe once, on Easter, and they turned out great. I feel that biscuits can be rather finicky, so I am hoping that this batch cooperates as well. I think I will test one of these at lunch today, just to make sure they are fit for consumption at dinner. And because they smell so good.


Next up- the less predictable, buttermilk chicken marinade. I loosely based this marinade on two receipes I found online and made up some of it myself. We're grilling tonight, despite the heat. Maybe the grill doesn't have to work as hard if it's already hot outside?


And, lest you think I have just been cooking all day and neglecting my real duties, I have finished another project for the shop as well! I am very pleased with how it turned out and will aim to post it by tomorrow morning at the latest. Be sure to stop by and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover